Leo Simons wrote:
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 04:50:28PM -0700, Rana Dasgupta wrote:
  We should probably hold off on patching right now?

I don't see why you can't attach patches to the relevant jira issue, if the
code is accepted then its likely the patch will be, too :-)

Personally, I'd prefer that new JIRAs are created and linked to the original submission issue, because then we can accept and close JIRAs atomically.

We ran into a problem when patches to patches were attached to the same JIRA, and it becomes a bit confusing to try and figure out which is right from the comments.

It's much cleaner to say "This patch replaced the patch in HARMONY-XYZ" rather than "this patch replaces the other one I did before I submitted the extra build file" or whatever...

Patch management is going to be hard if there's a lot of patches, but that's
just further incentive to get things integrated more quickly ;-)

  The submission compiles and runs fine with XP V2, msvc VC7 and with SUSE
9.2 and GCC 3.3.4.
  We should pick the Linux/GCC version that we  run Harmony builds
regularly on and make all the changes in one shot to fix the compile on
that. Has this version already been identified?

Hmm. I think the key is in making the buildsystem and the code aware of
the linux/gcc version and adapt behaviour based on that.

Is it ok to attach patch here or should I use JIRA?

In general sending patches through the mailing list is not all that bad, but
the people integrating code (eg, Tim :-)) do seem to prefer to use JIRA, so
after talking about things on the list, adding them to jira does make sense.

Yep - JIRA makes it much easier to track and search and know status.

geir

cheers!

LSD