* jrod...@hate.spamportal.net [2008-01-15T09:43:56]
> >   ~$ perl -v
> >   This is perl, v5.10.0 built for darwin-2level
> >
> >   ~$ perl -V
> >   Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 10 subversion 0) configuration:
> >
> >   ~$ perl -E 'say $]'
> >   5.010000
>
> So as a general class, perl is indefensible.  Thanks for clarifying.

No, see, the decision to say that versions are numbers compared with <=>, but
simultaneously to support the x.y.z system that magically works but only if .z
is present without any sort of marker saying "this is a version number that is
compared to other forms of versions with these known semantics" is a great
idea.  Seriously.  Perl versions have always been in two forms.  We have never
been at war with common sense.

No one is screaming.  Resume the lima bean harvest.

--
rjbs