On 21 December 2010 20:56, Peter da Silva <pe...@taronga.com> wrote:

On 2010-12-21, at 12:47, demerphq wrote:

On 21 December 2010 19:04, Abigail <abig...@abigail.be> wrote:
If there's one thing I'm missing after switching to a MacBook, it's the
copy-and-paste functionality that doesn't require a combination of keys
with a mouse or trackpad.

Whenever I use a mac the first thing i miss are the  extra six "cursor
keys", starting with the home and end keys, then the page-up/page-down
keys, followed by insert/delete.

Why? Someone holding a gun to your head, keeping you from plugging your own
keyboard in?

Um no its mostly manners. My colleagues tend to get upset when i try
to plug my keyboard into their laptop just so i can show them a funky
oneliner or show them a code snippet or something.

Hardware-wise, the IBM Thinkpad T series was wonderful. If I could run OS/X on
it I'd be happy.

What you arent brave enough to do the Hackintosh thing? (/me is
kidding, i am sure you *are* brave enough, and much braver than I am).

I hate having to choose between hardware that sucks and software that sucks,
but at least I *can* plug a decent keyboard in my Mac.

:-) That is fair enough.

And getting back to the original subject, why would a quirk of Apple *hardware*
design keep you from implementing a decent user interface on a UNIX desktop,
instead of copying Windows?

Well I cant answer that one. Especially since i find the windows gui
overall the least sucky ive used. It has the one major advantage that
almost every program uses the exact same rules, etc. To me "left
double click for DWIM main action, left click for select item, and
right click for context menu relating to the item" makes a lot of
sense. Much more than say the "all menubars go on the top of the
screen" which is basically completely broken on multi-display
scenarios (i work on a two or three head box), and sucks really bad on
wide ones.

The main thing that Windows got wrong with their gui as far as I can
tell is that they fucked up the "infinite points on the screen"
support. So if you "bottom left hard" and click, you _wont_ select the
start button. What freaking stupid call that was.

Yves