I am missing so many messages in this thread, that I don't know whether someone
has already brought up this point.

On the Mac, the menu bar does not follow *the mouse*, it follows *focus*. If you use any
mechanism (clicking on the window, alt-tab, selecting an app from the dock or a document
from the windows menu) the menu bar always tracks the focussed window. It is not
meaningful to talk about "focus follow mouse" on the Mac with the menu bar not
following the focus. So it's not an API issue, it's a UI issue. Focus your hate on the
right issue.