On 2012.5.13 11:06 PM, Philip Newton wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:58 AM, Michael G Schwern <schw...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> The only other instance I can think of is... damn I can't remember the name.
>> It's the one that makes URLs like /foo/bar/123,3598,235.html.  You write in
>> Java and everything, even the templates, is stored in Oracle.
>
> Vignette StoryServer?

YES!  Oh god, the horror.

> I had a bit of a go with that... back when the language was Tcl, not Java.

It's all coming back to me now.  It was TCL 7.  Oh god, it didn't even have a
bytecode compiler!  There was no debugger!  You had to type everything into a
special Java editor (back when Java worked even less) that you couldn't paste
into!

> I remember one developer who decided he had had enough of trying to do
> something in Tcl and wrote a template that was effectively
>
>     [exec perl -e {
>             .... about 150 lines of Perl snipped ...
>     }]
>
> (or whatever the syntax for calling external commands was). Worked
> wonderfully.

HAHA!  Oh god I wish I'd thought of that.  Amongst the reasons I was fired
from my first job was my refusal to touch StoryServer ever again.

>> If you think you need that, step away from the keyboard, take a nice walk
>> outside and rethink your design.  Or write out open + eval long hand.
>
> Or do "filename"?

That preserves lexical encapsulation.

--
170. Not allowed to "defect" to OPFOR during training missions.
    -- The 213 Things Skippy Is No Longer Allowed To Do In The U.S. Army