On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 08:06:28AM +0200, Philip Newton wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:58 AM, Michael G Schwern <schw...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > The only other instance I can think of is... damn I can't remember the name.
> > It's the one that makes URLs like /foo/bar/123,3598,235.html.  You write in
> > Java and everything, even the templates, is stored in Oracle.
> Vignette StoryServer?
> I had a bit of a go with that... back when the language was Tcl, not Java.
> Fun times. Especially counting the backslashes. Do we need four here?
> Five? Seven?

No, IIRC it was always a power of two.

> It was not unheard of to need ungodly numbers of backslashes in various
> places.

I was told by their support people to "keep adding slashed until it
works", the number of slashes required being a function of how deeply
nested your code was.  Note that you couldn't keep a standard library of
functions and use the same function at different nesting levels.

Vignette really were a comedy company.  Storyserver was supposed to be a
content management system, but when I used it it couldn't handle binary
file uploads - so you couldn't use it to upload images.  Their
"solution" to this was to send us some C source which was "untested,
because we don't have a compiler in the UK".

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

THIS IS THE LANGUAGE POLICE
PUT DOWN YOUR THESAURUS
STEP AWAY FROM THE CLICHE