(Any '3rd party' mods seem to get run via the cstrike install anyway, so
I think you should debug against that.)

The 'invalid steam ticket' is due to running steam twice on your
machine. Quite simply, you can't. (If anyone has tried running multiple
Won Auth HL clients on the same machine, it=92s a similar deal)

-EvilGrin

I don't even have the cstrike install on mine - I doubt it uses that for
3rd party mods (especially since lots of them rely on original HL content)
either way.

And you CAN run a dedicated server and connect to it on the same machine
with Steam, I just tried it, worked fine. This worked pre-Steam too. I
think it's because dedicated server doesn't need to be SteamID
authenticated, or at least it's not an issue if a client then tries to
authenticate with the same SteamID (i.e auth. server ignores it)