I doubt simply raising the brush limits and such would have insignificant
performance effect and system requirements of already existing maps and
mods. Maybe a couple megs of ram for the raised static buffer sizes and
maybe larger indices, if that? Even less if they are dynamically allocated
buffer sizes. It wouldn't suddenly raise the system requirements
significantly of HL2 and whatever else is out there until someone took the
initiative to use the higher limits, which can be done safely and
efficiently by a good mapper. Similar to HDR, its not a requirement that the
larger limits be completely used. As with everything it's up to the mod
developers to determine what performance levels they want to achieve on what
level of hardware and build their content accordingly. Afaik, mods are
effectively already running at a more advanced level than the what came in
the HL2 box.

Agreed, it would be nice if mods could get an evolution of the engine with
higher limits to these things.