I've personally not had a problem with the toolset myself. If
developers want a nice easy way to make a fps game they should grab a
copy of fpscreator or darkbasic. But if you're serious about modding
then source engine is fine. Good code access, a wiki with lots of
useful information and a community who answers questions.

We have what we need if we include Jed's stuff. Why should valve spend
time and money remaking them when they already exist in the community?

It's like valve deciding the hoodoo was a good map for tf2 and so they
decide to build it from ground up. Bad idea. Much easier just to make
it official in it's current state.