Epic's great support of UDK is mainly because that's what Epic does. Epic is an engine company and that's mostly all they do. They make an engine that's used by dozens of licensees. They release this same engine in a stripped down format called UDK and apply some license restrictions on what you can and can't do with it. Epic makes money by supporting the UDK because it will be used by future licensees. The more Epic supports UDK, the more licensees they get and the more money they make when the people license the engine. This is what UDK is for. It is to drive new business to Epic.

Valve, on the other hand, doesn't make a dime from the SDK. You can argue that some mod team will create the next Counter-Strike and Valve will buy them out and make billions off of the game, but to my knowledge, that's only really happened once, with Counter-Strike (and maybe Garry's Mod). :)

Valve releases SDK tools (however broken they may be) as sort of a bonus for customers who've bought their games and want to fiddle around with things themselves. I'm sure that the tools Valve uses internally are a little better than what's released in the SDK, but I'm also sure that the internal tools contain licensed code from 3rd parties that can't be released to the public. So mod people are stuck with either using Valve's SDK tools, or re-implementing the tools themselves.

Yeah, it sucks when you spend months and months re-implementing something or trying to figure out a work around for some problem, only to have Valve change things in the next engine release which breaks everything you've spent months on trying to fix. I'm pretty sure Valve isn't intentionally trying to break your mod and that's just one of the things you have to deal with when you haven't licensed the engine source code.

Like I said above, Valve doesn't make anything from the SDK, so there's really not a whole lot of incentive for them to constantly run the SDK tools through their QA people so that they can find and fix bugs. It's just not cost effective for them to do this. If you were paying for the SDK, you could probably expect a little better support and quality control for it, but since it's free, you're actually getting more than you paid for.

----
Jeffrey "botman" Broome