That is how it starts. First, they become content with making money; next
thing you know Gaben stays true to his roots and VALVe becomes Microsoft.
Ignoring and neglecting your most fervent and backing customers/supporters
is a short-term solution that gets money and fuels that distaste shared by
all for Microsoft. I, and I presume a lot of modders, stuck by VALVe because
they not only cared about the games, but they went behind the scenes to make
sure modders and mod players were satisfied. It bred brand loyalty, a virtue
I believed VALVe treasured.

I will continue to buy VALVe games despite the current situation, but they
are steadily becoming reluctant purchases. Next L4D3 could be Vista.
On Oct 28, 2010 7:32 PM, "Keeper" <keeper....@gmail.com> wrote:
> VALVe has changed quite a bit since that time. They do have a lot of
> distribution business, although I doubt that effects the developers that
> much. The one thing I think we can all agree on, when it comes to older
> games and the SDK side, they don't seem to have enough personnel dedicated
> to it. But why should they? It doesn't make much business sense. They
> don't charge for the dedicated servers, and they don't charge for the SDK.
> Why throw money at those things? The dedicated servers make more sense
> because at least they might bring some end user business in.
>
> I think there original intention was to keep up with the SDK and help
> promote new game ideas and maybe even bring revenue in. I think the
> distribution side won out and they just kind of dropped the ball on the
SDK