VALVe has changed quite a bit since that time.  They do have a lot of
distribution business, although I doubt that effects the developers that
much.  The one thing I think we can all agree on, when it comes to older
games and the SDK side, they don't seem to have enough personnel dedicated
to it.  But why should they?  It doesn't make much business sense.  They
don't charge for the dedicated servers, and they don't charge for the SDK.
Why throw money at those things?   The dedicated servers make more sense
because at least they might bring some end user business in.

I think there original intention was to keep up with the SDK and help
promote new game ideas and maybe even bring revenue in.  I think the
distribution side won out and they just kind of dropped the ball on the SDK
model.