When tried to host my first server these applied to me:
~ Don't have access to your domain records? = you shouldn't be a server
admin
~ Think a packet is what Kool Aid comes in? = you shouldn't be a server
admin
~ Don't know your way around a *nix shell? = you shouldn't be a server
admin
~ Intimidated by the idea of an SQL query? = you shouldn't be a server
admin
~ Don't know how to set up port forwarding? = you shouldn't be a server
admin
~ Think DHCP is just fine for static servers? = you shouldn't be a
server admin
~ Don't understand u$oft at a kernel level? = you shouldn't be a server
admin
~ Think a Colo is a guy into lowriders? = you shouldn't be a server admin
~ Can't script, can't install, velcro shoes? = you shouldn't be a server
admin

Now only the following apply:
~ Think DHCP is just fine for static servers? = you shouldn't be a
server admin    (However; I use a dynamic DNS provider and make my
Domain name known to players)
~ Don't understand u$oft at a kernel level? = you shouldn't be a server
admin (Never heard of it)

I learned about many of them when trying to set up my first server, and
others in different ways, so how am I supposed to become a server admin,
read books until I am qualified, or have fun setting up a server and
learn in the process?

oh, you should add that you should have a T3 or better connection
dedicated for game servers.

Roman Hatsiev wrote:
You missed one more item: if you don't call less IT educated people
pathetic loosers - you shouldn't be a server admin. And I bet you wear
a t-shirt with "I'M A SERVER ADMIN" on it, don't you?

I don't know... there should be a basic checklist somewhere for
'wannabe' server administrators.

[...]

I understand a lot of administrators are 'hobbyists', but do
understand a good deal of servers 'suck' just for that reason.  The
s2n ratio around here would be better if the 'hobbyists' got a clue.

-Mike-
~~~~
-Mike- is: Biker ~ Slacker ~ Iconoclast ~ Eclectic Thinker