I doubt most HL servers were "professionally" hosted when Valve first
released a dedicated server. It was released for HL players, so they could
setup a more permanent server without having to have the game open.

Just because people have tried to build a business model around Valve's
freely available dedicated servers doesn't mean you need to be a network
expert to host a server. Players will choose servers based on the
performance and the other regular players, and there are many popular
servers that have passed this test without being "professionally" hosted.

Grant
(L. Duke)