From: "Alfred Reynolds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlds@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 3:10 PM
Subject: RE: [hlds] Pure Server Mode Question / Request

Um, please have a read of the pure server config file. It supports (by
design) custom server files using the allow_from_disk+check_crc flag,
you have all the tools you need to customise the assets on your server
yet still enforce that clients have the same content as you. If you
could do a little more research before making obviously false statements
next time that would be great.

- Alfred

From: "Chris Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
OK, 5% was a bit generous. How about 1% then?

Or would you like to "educate" me as to how many servers out there
are pure vanilla? Because if you take away the match servers it's
next to nothing.

Again, we have the vanilla fans attacking the plugin community,
using the old "But surely we have to protect ourselves against
cheaters" line.

Bullshit.

It's easy for them (VALVe) to code for the client to be consistent
with the server. Hell it was done before, but like everything else
useful written by the independent plugin community, it was broken
with a Valve update - which no one minds, if only VALVe would
listen to the community and run a freakin beta program.

So why the talk around here of a pure mode which only checks for
consistency of Valve content?

I'll tell why.

Because a very small number of people, want a world where only
server operators running vanilla Source, to be able to keep out
the cheaters, leaving all the custom servers questionable, so that
the only the vanilla servers get packed out each night.

If you really want to stop the cheaters and you want a pure gaming
experience at the expense of functionality then just disconnect
yourself from the internet and play either your friends on a LAN
or some bots.

Cheers.