It's not really any different than running TF2 in an idling server and
minimizing the window, I wouldn't say it's very honest but I wouldn't
really classify it as a cheat.

And VACs main purpose is protecting the game process, I don't think you
could get VAC banned from just manipulating the Steam API to perform
simple tricks like this unless you do it from within the game, while
connected to a VAC secured server. Although it seems possible if you
were to try to connect to a legitimate (VAC enabled) server using what
would appear to be a phony client that VAC might flag your account,
although I think it'd most likely just refuse the connection.