If the browser would be official, it would be included in the main menu and
would not require to activate the console. It would have all the server in
the correct browser tab and it would not ask you a password when you want to
join a server. It would also possible to filter for L4D games in the Steam
gamebrowser itself. This would be an  official server browser.