You have to think of it this way: there are at any given point in time
about 3,000 TF2 servers online and usually around 10-15k players playing
the game. A player being banned from your 2 or 3 or however many servers
is literally a drop in the massive bucket of potential places to play. I
think that the -minority- of servers/server ops/communities share
banlists and ban people wholesale based on steam group and friend lists.

In my experience, most of the people negatively affected by a wholesale
banning - IE a player who was in some group "on accident" or whatever -
will either flat out not care and find another server, or come to your
site asking WTF and to be unbanned. And this latter group is far smaller
since there is such an abundance of servers for people to play on.
Umbrella banning people based on conduct or steam group membership isn't
the best solution, but when a large amount of players seem to be
assholes it's easier to just block possible trouble makers than wait for
them to come find you. And again, they're only an unban request away
from playing on the server.

Also FYI, what you were talking about sounds a lot like SteamBans so you
might want to look into that. Unfortunately SteamBans doesn't consider
things like "being the owner of a myg0t steam group" or "calling server
admins names" a bannable offense, but that is were community based
bannings are great.