Servers don't need ads much like TF2 didn't need to become free-to-play. It
is just a different model of revenue, one that server owners should be free
to choose.

Once TF2 became F2P, a larger portion of donation money went to the Mann Co
Store instead. It also filled slots full of kids who aren't able to pay
anything because if they had any money they would have moved to new games
like COD. When a game is brand new, there are plenty of people willing to
shell out +100€ on servers and donations without a second thought. But that
time is long past for TF2 now. For those who want more than the cheapest
servers or colocation, donations aren't enough.

If you want to see what a donation only game as old as TF2 looks like, all
you have to do is look at COD4. The top servers there are dominated by the
cheapest servers. If you are donation only be honest with yourself:

- How much are you paying out of your own pocket? Why is it immoral to just
break even when modelers used to release free on Gamebanana are now making
tens of thousands a month on the Mann Co Store?

- Do you really have the best server that can be offered to players? The
answer is most undoubtedly no. Even the fastest servers choke on 32 players
at times and Valve's own servers couldn't even handle 24 players until they
restricted FPS to 66.

- How long have you been around? When you first start a community you will
get a lot of money, but this does not last as communities like Firepowered
have figured out.

Most of the people here wouldn't be so excited about killing off ad
supported servers if they didn't think they would get more players from it.
Really why would you care about ads to the point you are excited about
removing functionality from your own servers? If we're going to have a real
conversation about MOTDs let us be honest about this at least.