I kind of saw this coming when "quick play" was first announced.

By players being able to opt only for "official" Valve servers, it
gives Valve another way to placate complaints from players (or there
parental-units) about inappropriate content, behavior etc.  They are
pretty-much guaranteed "vanilla" and about as family-friendly as their
games are capable of being - because they are the servers that Valve
maintains themselves.

I definitely sympathize that it will in the short term mean that as
more "regular" players stop playing and the population gets replaced
by more "noob's" most of those noob's will at least start-out (maybe
by default) only playing on "vanilla" servers with no customization or
intrigue at all.

So, while I don't particular LIKE it, I totally understand where Valve
is coming from.  I run game servers that are specifically /
intentionally "not family friendly" (as it says in the MOTD and the
audio-on-join message).  So, kids showing-up "accidentally" on my
servers is not particularly desirable. But, then again, I opt-out of
"quick play" anyway.  So, in theory they shouldn't be there any way.

Sadly, some communities are going to survive this evolutionary
bottle-neck, and others likely will not.