The main problem I heard from quickplay was that you wouldn't get these
good community servers, but instead you'd get tweaked out nightteam and
random mods and shit from it. I tried it one night and got shunted to Stop
That Tank!  As far removed from the "standard" TF2 experience as can
possibly be, due to server admin shenangians.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Weasels Lair <wea...@weaselslair.com>wrote:

> I kind of saw this coming when "quick play" was first announced.
>
> By players being able to opt only for "official" Valve servers, it
> gives Valve another way to placate complaints from players (or there
> parental-units) about inappropriate content, behavior etc.  They are
> pretty-much guaranteed "vanilla" and about as family-friendly as their
> games are capable of being - because they are the servers that Valve
> maintains themselves.
>
> I definitely sympathize that it will in the short term mean that as
> more "regular" players stop playing and the population gets replaced
> by more "noob's" most of those noob's will at least start-out (maybe
> by default) only playing on "vanilla" servers with no customization or
> intrigue at all.
>
> So, while I don't particular LIKE it, I totally understand where Valve
> is coming from.  I run game servers that are specifically /
> intentionally "not family friendly" (as it says in the MOTD and the
> audio-on-join message).  So, kids showing-up "accidentally" on my
> servers is not particularly desirable. But, then again, I opt-out of
> "quick play" anyway.  So, in theory they shouldn't be there any way.
>
> Sadly, some communities are going to survive this evolutionary
> bottle-neck, and others likely will not.

Tee hee hee hee