What do you mean by "tough enough sell"?

On 19.12.2015 03:03, Cats From Above wrote:

Matthias, I cannot help but disagree with the scope you’re proposing. Getting stock servers back into Quickplay with HTML MOTDs disabled will be a tough enough sell let alone accommodating HTML MOTDs, custom game modes, custom maps and non-default configurations.

I believe it would behove of us to collectively take one hurdle at a time. Getting genuine stock servers back in is the first step. In this step Valve would have to implement a policy framework that ensures compliance with the rules – which will inconvenience them enough I’m sure. To complicate that issue with things like adding support for custom game-modes is to risk Valve turning around and saying, “This is more trouble than we’re willing to take on at this time. Sorry guys, thank you but no thank you.”

If we can collectively win a small victory in terms of stock servers and ensuring stock server compliance with Valve’s rulkes, then that opens the door to requesting and proposing other changes such as those which you would desire. But to smother Valve with a myriad of changes right from the beginning is to simply beg them to put us in the too hard pile and I fear that would be an unrecoverable position.

Further, it would benefit us to realise that Valve does not wish to play the role of babysitter all the time. In the past they have threatened to ban server operators, have done so here and there across a period of a couple of weeks, and then found better uses of their time. That's fair call. Whatever system we devise needs to be set and forget.

Though I do concede one benefit of what Matthias is proposing. By going to Valve with a holistic (albeit far more complicated) initial step, one can possibly remove the incentive for server operators to pass off thier servers as something they are not by virtue of the fact that Quickplay will accommodate servers that it previous didn't. Though again, it would be prudant of Matthias to drop his incessant mentioning of advertising in this context, since it is at best premature.