Fra: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] På vegne av Gary Stanley
Sendt: 24. februar 2009 16:31
Til: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list; Half-Life dedicated Linux
server mailing list
Emne: Re: [hlds_linux] ticrate, pingboost, rates - need help

At 03:23 AM 2/24/2009, Kveri wrote:
>guys I don't see any point running a server with pingboost (1,2 or 3)
>with 1000Hz kernel, why? It's already boosted, so why using pingboost?
>
>Kveri

Different methods to service the timers that drive it. 1 uses an
alarm() call, 2 uses a select()
and 3 uses a method that processes each one as they come in.

The engine runs fast with a pingboost of 3 and a ticrate over 1000
due to the way the engine divides/multiplies the ticrate
to step frame time.

You really don't need highres timers on a machine anyways, because
when hrtimers are enabled in the kernel the error rate is increased
and you see significant jitter doing sleeps.. the long term solution
is to write a sleep function that uses the rdtsc of the cpu and then
you get ultra accurate sleeps (you'll need a reference clock though,
like open /dev/hpet or use ntpd :-)