1 hidden slot.. i really dont see any issues with that sollution.

i never had complaints about people getting kicked because of this,
sourcemod handles it just fine. When its 25/24 and someone leaves (out of
their own free will its 24/24 again, and a reserved person can comein, or
if someone else leaves its 23/24 and a pub person can join.

reserved people also know that when its 24/24 they should use "connect" via
the console.

No kicking involved.