If I remember correctly, item drops are handled almost entirely on the
Steam cloud servers. Your actual game server has no control over it
(so that, for example, people can't spawn items constantly) and really
doesn't play any direct part in the item drop. So I would assume that
any correlation you may see between the two is anecdotal at best.