We had a case where our older webserver was running SRCDS at roughly 2x the
speed. We never found the cause, I tried a whole sleugh of things but to no
avail could I correct it. We ended up replacing the server, and everything
runs fine.

Libraries aren't really required anymore. libgcc and libc are shipped with
SRCDS now, and have been for quite sometime. You should be fine with a
skeleton install.

How much faster are we talking?
Kyle.