From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Kyle
Sanderson
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:20 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list; Half-Life dedicated Linux
Cc: alf...@valvesoftware.com; tft...@valvesoftware.com
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] [hlds] Family Sharing Ban Bypass.

In case anyone is following this, there's a WebAPI update planned for next
week which allows for getting the owner's account from a lender id.

There's also a Steamworks update planned for between yesterday and (?),
which adds the owner's id to the ticket verification result
(ValidateAuthTicketResponse_t). However, this is too late for servers to get
the owner's id. SourceMod at the moment supports checking if they're
verified (by not handing out admin before IsClientFullyAuthenticated
happens). However, this happens far too late in the process (30 seconds
typically to a couple minutes, to never if Steam is down), subsequently most
servers (to my knowledge) have the feature disabled (or at least want it
disabled; from the threads I've seen).

After the Steamworks update happens, I believe we need the owner's accountid
passed to the server at the same time as the actual rendered SteamID (how it
is at the moment, sent from the client at connection time).
This should allow for the same verification result as
IsClientFullyAuthenticated, and pre-usage that most of the engine does.
This should continue to allow for immediate usage, which is what is used
now.

A public engine function would be appreciated to get the owner's account id
(or rendered SteamID, as to conform with everything else). Unless if I'm
neglecting something major, this should resolve the exploit for everyone as
clients are updated to support sending the supposed ownerid.

Thanks,
Kyle.