In message <20120911180743.gd15...@isc.org>
Evan Hunt writes:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:37:30PM -0400, Ted Lemon wrote:
> > No.   Things change.   All that's required to deal with this is that the
> > underlying protocol support it.   The DHCP DUID identification system
> > does support this kind of change, as long as the actual device doesn't
> > change.   If the device changes, then when the registration expires, the
> > name can be reclaimed.
>
> This does raise a point, though:  Dynamic DNS doesn't have an expiration
> mechanism.  Populating the DNS using mDNS is a good idea, I think, but it
> might be nice if we had some method of signaling the intended future
> disposation of a name.
>
> I'm thinking along the lines of a new rrtype, or maybe just a TXT record,
> that can indicate things like "after time T, it's okay to delete this
> rrset", or "if this name already exists with a different address, it's
> okay to replace the old one instead of adding to it".
>
> My home zone is cluttered up with the names of a couple of dozen laptops
> and ipods belonging to neighbors and visitors over the past year.  It's
> probably my own fault for misconfiguring DHCP (I don't think it's doing
> the right thing in the "on expiry" block, and it hasn't been a high
> priority for me to fix it).  But if we're going to be supplying DNS
> data from multiple sources -- DHCP, mDNS, maybe others -- then it might
> be a good idea to manage time limits on the demand side.
>
> --
> Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
> Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.

Even,

I've avoided that problem with the opposite approach.  I have both
fixed DNS and DHCP fixed entries for the laptops in my home.  Anything
else gets an address from the pool and no name except in the DHCP
leases file.  The only "anything else" is grandpa's laptop when he
visits and my kids laptops when they are home, or other guests.

I also get a stupid name based on serial number from one appliance
that doesn't allow the name to be changed and also don't allow a fixed
address to be configured.  At least I know what it is and I can define
a meaningful DNS name for it even if it won't take one.

If my wife or I take a laptop elsewhere, to the library for example
(or to IETF), then DHCP gives me a different address.  No big deal but
also no reconfig to go elsewhere.  A bit deal for my wife, but then
again she leaves her laptop at home all the time.

I also have two mystery devices with a uid and no client-hostname.
Not pingable.  Hmm.  :-(

I would think that the dynDNS name would go away if the DHCP lease
expired.  Apparently not.  I'd call that a bug.

Curtis