On Sep 12, 2012, at 9:02 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
> My machines have names.  Those names don't change as I move around
> the world.  Random DHCP servers at coffee shops DO NOT have the
> ability to update the DNS entries for those names.  They do have the
> authority to update the PTR records in in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa
> namespaces.

We're not talking about mobile IP here—we''re talking about naming in the
homenet.   The technology has existed for over a decade to do what you describe
with DHCP and DDNS in IPv4, but AFAIK nobody uses it, for two reasons: one, I
don't think it actually serves a real need, and two, it requires geek skills to
set up, which most people don't have.   But the second point is really a
footnote to the first.

There's a draft in the DHC working group for setting up the reverse zone...