In message <279cabeb-4dee-45c7-8cf2-8c34eac3c...@fugue.com>, Ted Lemon writes:
> On Sep 12, 2012, at 10:28 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
> > Which is a UI / product support problem.  The Mac has DNS registration
> > under Sharing.  It requires manual entry of the TSIG key which
> > currently has to be entered into the nameserver for each device.
> > It could be made as simple as BlueTooth associations are.
>
> It's probably true that a homenet router could be set up to allow for =
> DNS updates from remote locations using a TSIG or SIG(0) signature.   It =
> might be nice to list this as a feature if we feel it can be specified =
> cleanly.   But as you say, it would be necessary for third party devices =
> to implement this, and in order for them to do that they have to =
> perceive a need.   It could happen; I just don't think it's going to be =
> valued enough to motivate people do make the effort required to set it =
> up.   I think there are a lot of steps between where we are now and an =
> environment where people see the need for this.

MacOS already supports this so clearly someone at Apple thinks
"there is a need".  You turn on Active Directory in Windows and
your machines will try to register themselves when on the road.

This working group is looking at a paradigm shift in how home
networking is done.  We now have directly addressable machines on
the home network.  Publishing addresses to the world now makes sense
for lots of reasons including we are now reachable.

The "nobody is doing now" argument doesn't cut it here.  Are we
about enabling future development or styfling it?  The world is
slowly heading away from asymetric home links (cable/adls) to
symetric home links (fibre) with enough bi-directional bandwidth
for the home user to host whatever services that want to.

We need to forward thinking enough to put in the infrastructure to
support that.  That means more than addresses being added to the
DNS which is basically where integrated DNS/DHCP solutions stop.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org