In message <f5927c12-fe26-470f-82ae-f4387d30d...@fugue.com>, Ted Lemon writes:
> On Sep 12, 2012, at 2:41 AM, Ray Hunter <v6...@globis.net> wrote:
> > Ted, respect your DHCP/DNS knowledge, but if we need a DHCP server anyway i
> n Homenet, why don't we go for the classic enterprise set up that has run for
>  years for IPv4, rather than trying to shoe horn locally assigned SLAAC addre
> sses into global DNS?
>
> Two reasons.   First, there's strong opposition to this, and so it will never
>  happen, whether it is the right idea or not (I don't think it's particularly
>  the right idea, although I'm not vehemently opposed to it either).   Secondl
> y, it precludes the use of CGA by hosts.

Note updating DNS involves both FORWARD and REVERSE entries and the
solutions can be different.

My machines have names.  Those names don't change as I move around
the world.  Random DHCP servers at coffee shops DO NOT have the
ability to update the DNS entries for those names.  They do have the
authority to update the PTR records in in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa
namespaces.

Machines start off with mDNS to avoid bootstrap problems.  They
then have the ability to get a TSIG using TKEY signed with a
administrators TSIG (think Username/Password pair) for the forward
zone.  This will be stored in non-volitile storage on the master
nameserver and on the client.  Once the client has the TSIG key it
uses that to update its own forward entries.

Machines register PTR records in the reverse zones using TCP as the
authenticator in the reverse zone unless there is a DHCP option
that says to use the DHCP server to relay the PTR record update.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org