On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Ted Lemon wrote:

Mikael, it is common practice to do air-to-air bridging on home networks now. We have discussed whether we want to support this in homenet, and concluded that we must. You are the first person as far as I can recall to suggest that this was optional. Yes, we do need a routing protocol that works well when some of the transit networks are wifi networks. This is not an edge case.

Then we need to decide what kind of Wifi network we need to handle.

Because if we're trying to support marginal performance mesh networks that might change all the time, lose packets, drop multicast packets randomly, etc, then those requirements need to be brought to the discussion.

Basically, Dave Taht and Jim Gettys have been working a lot in these "marginal networks". They have a lot of experience. Personally, I don't see their kind of networks as something Homenet needs to support. I can see us needing to support a few wifi bridging hops, but what they're referring to is a quite different beast.

Also, how would HNCP perform on those kinds of networks? If we put that as an requirement on the routing protocol, then we need to make sure HNCP is also resilient facing these kinds of networks.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se