Ted Lemon <mailto:mel...@fugue.com>
4 March 2015 03:21
On Mar 3, 2015, at 4:55 PM, Ray Hunter<v6...@globis.net>  wrote:
One hour TTL could mean 24 times the DNS traffic compared to that historic
norm. It also could mean (re)signing DNSSEC zones more than 24 times per day as
hosts move around the homenet.......

Caching is really only interesting for query clusters and frequently accessed
domains.   I don't think there is any reason to expect that there will be
performance issues for homenet names, which I would expect would be
infrequently accessed by relatively few resolvers.
If I'm following draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation, then the hidden master is also located within the Homenet.

Doesn't that mean that the (hidden master) DNS server itself also has to be renumbered?

And the new content synched with the slave servers (outside of homenet) in a timely manner, before the old prefixes are expired?

Are the values suggested in section 4.2 for SOA appropriate then?

I understood a zone transfer was only triggered when the SOA contents changed, and that was only checked once the slave refresh timer had expired.

You either have more name resolution traffic (every day), or you have more
temporary addresses and old prefixes hanging around for longer (during a
renumbering event, which is presumably not every day).

Temporary addresses don't belong in the DNS.   Stale information doesn't belong
in the DNS.   This seems like a no-brainer to me.

--
Regards,
RayH