On Mar 4, 2015, at 1:48 AM, Ray Hunter <v6...@globis.net> wrote:
> Doesn't that mean that the (hidden master) DNS server itself also has to be
> renumbered?

Yes, but not before the zone transfer happens: the old IP address remains valid
even though it's deprecated.

> And the new content synched with the secondary servers (outside of homenet)
> in a timely manner, before the old prefixes are expired?

Yes, this has to work reliably, and it also has to work if the secondaries are
offline for some reason during the period when the old address is still valid
but deprecated.  I would say that there's probably some glue required here if
it's not already been documented in the homenet dns work that's been done so
far.

> Are the values suggested in section 4.2 for SOA appropriate then?

4.2 is not normative.   The values suggested there would not be appropriate for
a rapid-turnover environment like the one Mikael is describing.

> I understood a zone transfer was only triggered when the SOA contents
> changed, and that was only checked once the secondary refresh timer had
> expired.

That's right, but remember that when _any_ record is changed in the zone, the
zone serial number, and hence the SOA, changes.