On 6/13/19 12:51 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Jun 13, 2019, at 3:46 PM, Michael Thomas <m...@fresheez.com <mailto:m...@fresheez.com>> wrote:

Possibly, but I think there are hardware based solutions (eg "press to pair") and pure software based ones. The main point is to have something to point vendors at. They are probably clueless that this is a possibility now.

Ah.  I don’t think that would be useful.  The “if we spec it, they will build it” approach has been an utter failure thus far.  We should have a clear use case and a clear solution that addresses that use case.  We should not specify the kitchen sink and let them pick.  If someone has a use case we didn’t address, then that’s demand to address another use case, and we can do it, but we have to be real about this.  Right now, the only use case that really matters is OpenWRT, because that is where _all_ of the running code is.   So a solution that works there is the place to start.

A hardware based solution is always going to be more secure than a software-only solution but obviously that has even less likelihood of being deployed. I'd be perfectly happy to write in the draft that hardware assisted solutions would enhance security, but they are out of scope, leaving exactly one recommendation for a software solution.

The thing about webauthn is that almost all of the heavy lifting is done browser-side. The server side code is very straightforward: store public keys of people who can log in, and verify them when they do. And I do know this from experience, albeit not with webauthn specifically.

It would be good to do this on openwrt, that's for sure. I've never tried to hack on it, but it can't be too horrible.

Mike