He never can get close to the ideal musician. Playing as a professional
horn player is a bigger matter than you might be able to imagine. It is
not a matter of just play a few years - but fall a burden to the
section, as soon as life takes his grip (family, financial, family
trouble, a divorce, etc., asshole conductors, bad colleagues). Then the
section has to get rid of you, but how. You will ruin the section.

Playing in the section (I speak about high class orchestras) is not a
matter of writing all into the part, ever nuance, practice endless to
get things into your lips because of the embouchure difficulties. No,
absolutely no. Things must work spontaneously, in an anticipational way,
but how, if you are occupied with your embouchure, your tone production
obstacles, articulation, etc.

As the audience has become very stupid these days, special in areas
where classical concerts are rare (you understood ?), in areas where
general music education is at bottom level, you might be right, that as
long as the audience like it, you get the job. But permanently working
in a big full time symphony is another "glass of beer".

And the audition is not a thing of playing your text without missing a
note. This assumption is obsolete. You are requested to make music.
MUSIC, not just reproducing black dots on white paper more or less good,
music is more.

Read my last letter again carefully. Try to understand it. But one
question: have you ever played in a big high class symphony ? You would
understand what I try to explain.

See the example of the phantastic heroe tenor singer. But he is just 5
1/2 feet. Can you hire him for the title role in Siegfried ??? The
audience would starting laughing, special when he encounters the 6 feet
+  Bruennhilde of 150 pounds. His voice will not matter then. If he
wears high heels, he would walk on stage quite comical & degrade to a
caricature of the role. But he might be very good as recording artist.

A horn player with many physical obstacles would make a good figure in a
regional, perhaps semi professional symphony, but not in the high class,
where the wind blows that sharp, that nobody has the time to permanently
train to master the obstacles.

But there might be exceptions from the rules, off course, but very,
very, very rare.

Question: why is it that hard to rethink the decision to study a
particular instrument if the preconditions are anything other than ideal
??? Is that stubbornness or psychology or what  else ? Or is it just
vision ? Or Messianism (you have a lot of these people, we also getting
more & more of them) ?

The not ideal conditioned horn player does not ruin the section, but
diminish the potentials of the others in the section & even of the
first, as he or she can never adapt herself or himself to spontaneous
expressions. I know what I am speaking about (it is not related to the
thick lip people), as I have played with such players often. And believe
me, it is a different thing for a leader, having a second player on his
side, who has also not to invest so much to master any embouchure
problem and can react together with me in a spontaneous action. Then
playing the horn is great fun.

Believe me also, an audition jury can distinguish between ideal players
& players who are LEARNED only. We can distinguish that by just
listening.

May-be, our ears are better trained. Be assured, the conductors ears are
specialized to that, even the ears of completely deaf conductors.