From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Chris Tedesco
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 8:05 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: RE: [Hornlist] something to think HR-Thomas Quasthoff

that reminds me of Thomas Quasthoff.  Thomas Quasthoff is famous
baritone with
some physical deformities, but has made some great recordings and often
performs in concert opera performances as well as oratorios etc.  I
heard
recently that he performed, or will perform in a staged opera though.

--- Hans Pizka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>...<SNIP>
>
> See the example of the phantastic heroe tenor singer. But he is just 5
> 1/2 feet. Can you hire him for the title role in Siegfried ??? The
> audience would starting laughing, special when he encounters the 6
feet
> +  Bruennhilde of 150 pounds. His voice will not matter then. If he
> wears high heels, he would walk on stage quite comical & degrade to a
> caricature of the role. But he might be very good as recording artist.
> ....SNIP>>

Behalf
> Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 9:06 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [Hornlist] something to think HR
>
> Professor Pizka and others,
>        While you continually make this point about some people are not
> suited
> for some things, I feel that you go about it in the wrong fashion.  It
> seems
> that your take on the matter is that if someone tries to make it in
the
> world
> of horn playing, who does not have an ideal tongue, or lips, etc. then
> he is
> out to "ruin" the profession.  Is there idealism in music?  Of course.

>        Idealistically Beethoven would not have become deaf.  Yet,
almost

> every conductor still ends their tenure with an orchestra with his
Ninth