Professor,
       You keep on mentioning not to bring up "exceptions" to the table of
not idealistic horn players who have made it.  Many have already been named in
examples and inspirations for the young people with similar conditions who
want to become a world class musician?
       I don't understand your stance on the issue either.  Before you were
saying how it was impossible for a hornist to play if they have these problems.
 Now you've changed that statement to, "Well, even if they can play, they
can't play music."  First of all, the lip problem (if even exisiting) has nothing
to do with the music ignorance problem.
       While I do agree that the general audience has come to an all time low
at stupidity and ignorance, I do not like your patronizing us with what music
"really is."  If someone is on this e-mail list, he knows better than little
black dots on a piece of paper.  We understand that even the pinnacle of
pinnacle players will crack notes on occaision.  We also realize that there is more
to music than that.  I would ask you your definition of music, but I don't
believe you have one.  But that's o.k. because I don't believe there is a true
definition for music.  Even if there is one, it's very broad.  I'm sure that
Scönberg's or Cage's definition of music is much different than our own.  For
that matter, Schönberg's definition wouldn't even involve the "little black
dots" until he was nearly finished writing the piece.
       So don't lay it on us that there is only one way to play something
right.  If you really think that, I don't know how you ever survived playing so
long because it would have been really tough telling all of those conductors
that they were wrong.  Leave the interpretation part of music opened to the
interpretor.

Michael Scheimer,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2003 Interlochen Arts Camp Concert Band,
2002, 2003 PMEA Honors Band and 2003 District Orchestra
Founding co-member of Fünf Brass Quintet