Hans Pizka wrote:

> So there is just one solution to reach the top target:
> Start on the F-side & stay with it until can play Strauss no.1
(nearly)
> perfect.

When I was doing auditions to get a place at Music College, I only
played on the F side of the horn. I came to the horn from a background
of Eb "Tenor" horn (orEb  Alto horn depending on where you come from).

Being a naturally lazy person, I couldn't be bothered learning the
fingering for the Bb horn! Consequently I played Strauss 1 and
Villanelle at my auditions on the F horn. Only one person commented on
this to me and that was Ifor James, who asked me to wait until he  had a
break. He came out to me and handed me a piece of paper with the
different fingering for Bb and F, and persuaded me, that I only had to
learn a few new fingerings!

Well, I don't advocate anyone only using the F horn for the reason I did
as a very green 17 year old, but I certainly insist on any of my
students using the F horn first.

BTW I play on a Paxman model 40, Bb/High F most of the time, which I am
sure some will not approve of, but without my basic knowledge of how an
F horn functions, I would be only a quarter the player I am. and I
always use an F horn to warm up with nowadays, just in case that Bb horn
Alex 103 sound is catching ;-)

Francis

         o       Francis Pressland
    _ -'         Principal Horn
 ,'###`.         Niederrheinische Sinfoniker
// F P  \   _    Krefeld/MÃnchengladbach
\\  __ ,'.     . Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 `.___   |     |         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      `-.`     ' Tel  :  +49 2166 47986
          `._.'