Strauss 1 for the future first horns & off course, as you mentioned,
Beethovens op.17 & Mozart no.1 & 3 for the others. Thank you very much
for your friendly letter.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Scott Pappal
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 6:22 AM
To: The Horn List
Subject: RE: [Hornlist] F horn/Bb horn

This is fascinating advice, Professor. May I
(respectfully) ask why Strauss 1 as a test piece? In
my studio, I've been using Mozart 1 & 3, "concert
rondo" and Beethoven Sonata as my "test pieces" before
allowing a student to study Bb horn. I can't think of
any other "plan of study" as complete or thorough as
the plan outlined in the "Vienna study plan" on your
website. I've done my best to create something similar
to it with my own studio.

I was judging horn auditions for a local university
"honors band" today. The repertoire was Mozart 1.
Terrible to see how nearly ALL the young players held
the thumb valve down the whole time. Where is the F
horn sound - the horn's going to turn into a trombone
soon? F horn makes some passages in sharps so much
easier in my experience. All you B-flatters: Try the
last B-A#-B-C#-B-C#-D-C# (in sixteenths in the Mozart
1) on Bb horn, and on F horn. Its so much easier on
the longer horn, with no finger contortions.

I was really lucky. I had a horn teacher who insisted
that I know every alternate fingering on both sides of
the horn, and the reasons for using various
fingerings. I never use an "arbitrary swith point"
when playing, and neither do my students!

Scott

[EMAIL PROTECTED]