Funny you should mention HIGH SCHOOL......  This is college.  This is a
sophomore kid disrespecting a 6th year senior in horn performance.  Yeah yeah,
I've been taking a long time...

We are extremely limited on horns and there is no way I can fire him.  There
are no challenges and none can be arranged.  The band director only knows of
the situation from me and unfortunately hasn't heard any of the outbursts.  It
manages to reach all of the few rows around us and is never enough to reach the
director.  So I have people in front of me turning around and asking "What the
hell is that about?"

I have calmly told the 2nd horn not to worry about me and my mistakes, that
those are my problems to fix, not his.  I have also asked him if something was
going on outside of rehearsal or if this was a problem with me and his response
was, "Nothing!  It's fine!"  Of course his behavior wasn't fine, nor did it
cease.  He is extremely stubborn and has now been coming late to rehearsals.
The director suggested holding a sectional with him to see his reaction.  Well
he tried to get out of it and I think he was so annoyed with being there he
couldn't even focus to make the changes I asked of him.  And he did claim to be
doing everything I told him, which he hadn't done anything.  He seems like the
type to be fueled by emotions or something.  He is consistently angry with me
and I really don't understand why.

I'm thinking it might be time to have the director talk to him.  He said he
would, but only when I was comfortable with him doing so.  I didn't really
understand that...

A friend suggested that since he was acting like a child, I should talk to him
like a child.  And somehow I can't imagine just saying "be quiet" would work.
I think he really needs to learn some section etiquette and that may not be
best coming from me.

Although I do find the idea of playing a trick on him rather amusing.