hello-

I too have had a lot of trouble with endurance for all of the time that I've
played Horn seriously, so I guess I should talk like an expert on this subject.
 But I have, however, recently (since this fall) been able to improve my
endurance and high range significantly, and I do believe that if I continue to
work on what I have I will continue to improve.  I hope sharing what has helped
me can help some of you too.

My improvement has come from one thing: AIR.  My teacher in high school was all
concerned about embouchure.  Everything was about embouchure, having the
perfect set, placement, tight corners…..go read farkas….  I think that all of
this is very critical; but I have since learned that in the end, we play the
horn with air, not with almost microscopic muscles around our mouth.  Think
about it, the horn is, what, around fifteen feet long or so?  It has the
largest bell and the smallest mouthpiece of all the brass (except tuba I guess)
and is pointed backward.  Certainly the diaphragm and all the anatomy involved
with good breathing are stronger than little muscles.  Humans, anatomically at
least, are not designed to play the Horn.  We do however, have a lot of lungs
and diaphragm.  Use that!

I would venture to say that most people's endurance problems, given a basically
proper embouchure, a good warmup, and decent practice habits, are due to bad
air use.  Start with a really deep breath -don’t ever play a single note
without taking a good full breath, your lungs won’t get tired!- and then think
of blowing each note all the way down the lead pipe, or imagine playing and
Alphorn, where you have to blow all the way to the end of the horn.  Just
picturing this when I play helps me tremendously to use what is more efficient
in the body.
I also would venture to say that, in some ways, endurance is learned as much as
it is built.  There are many parallels between Horn playing and body building
or athletic training; but the muscles involved are very different than those
used in most aerobic or anaerobic exercise.  I believe, at least for myself,
that "building" endurance comes as much from learning air support, learning how
to pace yourself (practice habits and warm-ups), and learning how to form and
hold a proper, efficient embouchure, as it does from simple muscle development.
 Does this sound crazy???

Now that said, I myself have always had a hard time knowing how much to play
everyday.  (I am asking everyone here)  Should one play until fatigue sets in
every day, or every other day, or never???  When is one fatigued, when the high
B-flat wont come out clear or when all you get is mush and leaking out the
corners playing middle C? I have done a lot of work, under close supervision
from my professor and peers, from Joe Singer's and Carmine Caruso's routines,
and found them immensely beneficial.  But, from previous experience, I worry
about hurting myself with such work.  I also find that if I do much of that
"heavy-duty" stuff, I am shot for the rest of the day.  Is 2-3 hours of
rehearsals, practice, learning music and technique as useful as 20-30min of
that kind of work ?  I dunno.

I hope something I’ve said is helpful, but I may be completely wrong, I am no
pro, just a freshman.

Good luck,

Dave M.