In my humble opinion, both these are things best left to your grandson's
teacher.

Different teachers have different opinions about when to use the Bb side of
the horn, and the most important thing is that your son trust his teacher
and follow his teacher's recommendations.  Whatever rules or policy he
learns regarding this, he will undoubtedly broaden his horizons as his time
playing the horn lengthens.  My opinion, as a music teacher, is that most
beginners benefit from a fairly clear set of guidelines about using the Bb
side of the horn, e.g., switch starting at <insert your note of choice
here>.  With time, alternate fingers can and should be learned and used when
there is a good musical and/or technical reason.

I am currently playing a Bb single horn with a C valve, and even without
having a double horn, there are still a myriad of fingering choices
available.  As my teacher (and, no doubt, countless others) once observed,
the French Horn is one of the few instruments on which you can play the
right notes with the wrong fingerings and also play the wrong notes with the
right fingerings.  Bringing some order to the potential chaos is a good
thing.

Just my opinion.

-S-