Dan,

Great picture!  A perfect location for this type of projection.

As Tom pointed out earlier today, I have added a number of new projections into
PTAssembler, one of which ("recti-perspective") appears to be quite similar to
the Panini projection.  That said, here's a page with a few examples I
generated in recti-perspective projection using your image (about 235x120
degrees).

http://www.tawbaware.com/forum_posts/recti_perspective.htm

I think that we must have a slightly different projection formulas because our
results look a little different, although they seem quite similar in the
central regions.

Max