On that note, have you considered the SURF algorithm?

It appears that SURF is closed source as well, but there appears to be an
"OpenSURF".

This would be an interesting research topic. One of Hugin's goals is to produce
it's own auto cp detector or use a GPL version of one.

Drop a note back on SURF.  I'm interested in knowing what you find.