I thought SURF was also patented but maybe it is only the
implementation that is copyrighted.  I don't know for sure.  It would
be nice to see a patent-free control generator for Hugin though.  I am
not a programmer so I wouldn't be much help.  Here is the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SURF

but you may have that already.