On 2011-01-25 7:56 AM, Rogier Wolff wrote:
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:35:46PM +0100, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
Pre-rotating the images outside hugin is not a good idea. Even if hfov
and a/b/c parameters are applicable, what about the shift parameters
d/e? Left or right rotation makes a big difference here, and there is no
reliable way for hugin to figure that out.
Why not? When I get back from vacation I usually run a script on my
pictures collection that uses the exif info to rotate all portrait
images. This has the added advantage for the panorama photos that when
I load them into Hugin, and when I want to do manual control points,
they start out right-side-up. So: Why not rotate them?
If your camera has large d, e parameters then it makes a big difference!
Once the images have been rotated there is no way to know if they were rotated CW or CCW.
Landscape image d=100, e=100
Rotated portrait image. There is a big difference between d=-100, e=100 and d=100, e=-100

(The "hfov" parameter becomes a bit ambiguous, I agree. And it becomes
non-obvious that the 90 degree HFOV (landscape) and the 60 degree HFOV
(portrait) shots are from the same lens....  Instead of using hfov, I
think we should move to 35mm-equiv-lens-length or diagonal-fov.)

        Roger.
A portable lens profile is in the works. Thomas Sharpless has put together a wiki page that discusses the issues and some possible solutions. We want to change this but we want to change it right and once.
http://wiki.panotools.org/Lens_Correction_in_PanoTools.

It is currently being discussed on the panotools deve list on soureforge.

Jim Watters
http://photocreations.ca