On 11 Mrz., 00:56, Bruno Postle <br...@postle.net> wrote:

> I think the solution is obvious: plugins that don't require input or
> provide output can work as they do currently.  Any other plugins
> need to use wxPython to provide a GUI.

It looks obvious, but it makes the whole show much more involved.
First, the wxWidgets instance that's running in hugin has to be
relayed to the plugin. The plugin has to receive this information and
build any GUI it wants to display on hugin's wxWidgets instance. This
is possible, but it fattens the interface and makes it less
transparent. Nevertheless it can be done, but it would also take a
fair bit of research. I've already located code that may do the trick,
see how involved it gets:

http://svn.wxwidgets.org/viewvc/wx/wxPython/trunk/samples/embedded/

The next problem is that all plugins that want to acquire parameters
would have to import wxPython which isn't a standard module, but has
to be installed. So there would be another library dependency, and a
distribution distributing the Python interface would either have to
provide wxPython or ask the user to acquire it - no problem on Linux,
but maybe a hassle on other platforms.

I also feel that forcing every plugin that merely needs a few
parameters to write it's own GUI to acquire them is counterproductive.
Look at Bart's post, I think that's a more suitable idea, as it leaves
full GUI control with hugin, enforces consistency and takes the burden
off the plugin - after all we want to make it easy for contributors,
so we can easily profit from their ideas.

Kay