> Looking more generally at the resulting stitched map, I think
> you need to change your shooting slightly.

The aperture is wide open, resulting in distinct softness at the edges
> of the images; experiment with small apertures to see where the
> sweet spot for sharpness is. Since you're using a tripod
> and timer-release, long exposure times aren't a problem.
>
> Thanks for the advice.  I am no photographer so I just used the point and
click automatic feature.  You are right to suggest that I need to get more
technical in order to get better quality images. I will experiment.

> And the images are quite under exposed; the whites are showing as
> 56% in Gimp!
>
> I am not sure what this means, and what I should do about it?

> I'm guessing you shot on a table, near a window; the folds and creases
> in the map have been made quite visible by a *very* low raking light; try
> (somehow) to arrange diffuse and/or multiple light sources for your next
> shoot.

Nearly right! I was shooting in a conservatory on the floor but although
the light was diffuse  the sun is very low here at this time of year. I
shall bear that in mind.

>   BugBear

Thanks again.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/17860195-0879-405c-89a8-19d44462b6a8%40googlegroups.com.