On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 04:50:37AM -0800, Peter Cooper wrote:
> > Looking more generally at the resulting stitched map, I think
> > you need to change your shooting slightly.
> >
> > The aperture is wide open, resulting in distinct softness at the edges
> > of the images; experiment with small apertures to see where the
> > sweet spot for sharpness is. Since you're using a tripod
> > and timer-release, long exposure times aren't a problem.
> >
> Thanks for the advice.  I am no photographer so I just used the point and
> click automatic feature.  You are right to suggest that I need to get more
> technical in order to get better quality images. I will experiment.
>
> > And the images are quite under exposed; the whites are showing as
> > 56% in Gimp!
> >
> I am not sure what this means, and what I should do about it?

A camera sensor has a specific range of brightness values that it can
record. Think about it like a 0%-100% scale (ignoring color for the
moment). Pure black is 0%, pure white is 100%. Based on the settings of
the camera (ISO, aperture, shutter speed), real world brightnesses will
be translated to these sensor percentages. Ideally, you want the
brightest part of your scene to hit the 100% brightness sensor value (or
something very close, like 95%). In your images, the brightest part of
the scene only hits ~55% brightness, so the other 45% of the sensor's
range is not used.

To remedy this, you can either switch to manual mode and play with the
settings (longer exposure, wider aperture, higher ISO) to get a brighter
image, or if you want to stick to automatic, you can set the exposure
value (EV) target higher.

--Sean

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/20161224081102.GA12535%40coach.